Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

go4christ
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

printing on dark shirts

Post by go4christ »

I'm a newbie with a question. I'm having trouble printing bright colors on dark shirts. I put a white down first with a 156 mesh and flash thoroughly but when I put the color on top I get the following problems:

1. there's still ink in the screen (no matter how much pressure I use)
2. the edges of the colored imprint is not clean (it appears rough and jagged)
3. the imprint does not have a smooth surface (kind of feels like sandpaper)
4. there's some serious dot gain

I've backed the pressure off hoping to fix #2 and #4 but I had other problems (like not enough ink to fill the whole image). I've also applied greater pressure to try to fix #1, but to no avail.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ImageImage
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

What equipment are you using?
What Ink?
Whats the flash time and temp?
What kind of shirts? (50/50 tees? Fleece?)

I think everyone has had these problems in the beginning.
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
go4christ
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by go4christ »

What equipment are you using? Tuf Freedom (6 color auto)

What Ink? Wilflex buffalo white

Whats the flash time and temp? 5 secs (it's dry to the touch) and I'm blowing air on it so it's cooling fast

What kind of shirts? (50/50 tees? Fleece?) any kind, 100% cotton, 50/50, fleece. I pretty much get the same results with all of them
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

Will... its a common problem.
I run a 6 color auto as well. I use INTERNATIONAL COATINGS White
I normally have my flash set at 850 for 7-9 seconds. I have an temperature gun so It helps determine actual temperature of the flash. Since we have a COLD work area temp. gun was a great investment.
As for the coverage on the white
I have found 2 tricks work....
#1 if its a DETAIL GRAPHIC i use a rounded off squeege with a little angle. Pressure is important you have to find the sweet spot for your machine. I have an M&R so I can hit it will a double stroke and its good.

#2 Use 2 squeeges.... I have done this a few times instead of the flood.... use a squeege. Works but setup is a pain in the ass adjusting all the stuff.

Also try using a tighter mesh for your overprint colors. I like 110 range

I cant say I am the best but I have had good results with what I have listed.
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
go4christ
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by go4christ »

ROADSIDE wrote:#1 if its a DETAIL GRAPHIC i use a rounded off squeege with a little angle. Pressure is important you have to find the sweet spot for your machine. I have an M&R so I can hit it will a double stroke and its good.
I'm not familiar with rounded-off squeeges. What is a "little angle"? I double stroke (i.e. print...flash...print).
ROADSIDE wrote:Also try using a tighter mesh for your overprint colors. I like 110 range
I'm using 156 on the white and 230 on the overprint color. You recommend 110 on the overprint color? I'd have to go with a finer mesh on the white or I'd have a really heavy laydown, right?
Majordog
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

sandpaper ink

Post by Majordog »

you might try adding some reducer to your white ink if you are not clearing your screens. I have a tuf machine and it takes about four to eight shirts(test prints) for my white inks to flow nicely. I use the international white.
punkinheadelite
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by punkinheadelite »

Try printing your white, flashing it, and printing it again. then laying down your top color. Sounds like to me that you are not get a good softhand with just one coat of white. You also want to make sure that your first coat cleans out of the screen good. Another problem with your top color not cleaning out of the screen good is that your underbase possibly isn't getting completely dry. Another suggestion is raising the offcontact of the top color. Just something I have learned along the way.

My personal preference when it comes to white ink is Rutland Supreme White and Rutland Skylar White. Both are good on dark shirts (50/50 & 100%) Great oppacity, and both are low-bleed. Another white that is good on 100% is Rutland Core White. The only problem is that it isn't low-bleed and when the polyester in a 50/50 gases off, the dye in the shirt bleeds into the ink.

Just some suggestions from a Kentucky girl!

Been screen printing for 9 years and counting!
kevinwilson
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by kevinwilson »

Another ink you might want to try is printers choice quick flash. It drys very and does not bleed into other inks if you lay somthing over it.
Kevin Wilson
River City Graphic Supply
www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com
go4christ
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by go4christ »

Thanks to everyone for their input. I added reducer to the white ink. This allowed me to use less pressure to wipe the screen and use a finer mesh.
I changed the mesh for the underbase white from 158 to 230. This gave me a much softer hand and a smoother surface for the color on top. Wow, what a difference. Thanks again![/list]
John Pena
Nations Graphics
Kansas City, MO
816-765-1919
john@nationsgraphics.com

Changing the world one shirt at a time
MosquitoLane
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

White: The ink from hell...

Post by MosquitoLane »

Get a drill and one of those paint mixing attachments from home depot or walmart and mix the white ink until it is smooth and creamy. Doesn't matter what mesh count you use or what brand of ink if the white ink is like concrete. I learned this very recently. Warming it helps a bunch too. Warm and creamy white ink is wonderful stuff... you should have seen my first attempts before I new the secret... :oops: Now I can happily use white and have a smooth tshirt thanks to the experts who post on another site forum. Using reducer can decrease opacity and break down your ink...won't last as long in the container...
Deb