Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

bishsrealdeals
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Emulsion Flakes Washing Out The Stencil

Post by bishsrealdeals »

I am brand-spankin new to screen printing. I've actually only attempted 2 thus far and both times the emulsion around the image has flaked off as I was rinsing the image out. The first one, I believe now, flaked because I had too much water pressure. The second one though, I'm still not sure because I took more time and less pressure rinsing it out and it still flaked on me. I did not think to use degreaser on either of the screens before applying emulsion. Is there a specific kind to use? also my dry time for the emulsion has been about 2 hours in a small dark room with a small space heater. It is completely dry to the touch so, being new, I assume it is dry and ready for exposure.

I have rigged up my own exposure unit using a non filtered halogen work lamp. In one of the instructional youtube videos I watched, a man using a similar exposure unit said to expose the image on the screen for about 30-45 minutes. The first screen I exposed for about 45min. When it flaked off I thought it may not have exposed long enough so the second screen I kept under the unit for a little over an hour. What is the right amount of exposure time? and After the image has been exposed on the screen, is there a time frame or wait time for rinsing the stencil out??

Any help/advice will be much appreciated!!!
Chiara
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: Emulsion Flakes Washing Out The Stencil

Post by Chiara »

Hi there
I was about about to write a post concerning exactly the same issue.
Have you by any chance managed to resolve the problem?

Thanks
d fleming

Re: Emulsion Flakes Washing Out The Stencil

Post by d fleming »

First, change light source. Try unfiltered black light uv tubes. Should get your exposure time down to around 5 minutes depending on emulsion and distance from light source to screen. Dawn dish soap can degrease. Should not have to use much water pressure at all to wash out after exposure. Exactly what emulsion are you using?