Take a look at these pics- I need a little help!

To help you get started...
Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

megandmonkey
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Take a look at these pics- I need a little help!

Post by megandmonkey »

Hi everyone

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge- I am very new to this and I just need a little help with a few things...

I attended a screen printing workshop and caught the bug! I work as an illustrator so this new skill set (still very much in the making!) is a great asset for my work. I have invested in some kit to screen print onto fabric. I am using Aluminium screens with 43T mesh and screentec inks: http://www.handprinted.co.uk/ScreenPrin ... =EAN%2cEAN

I have screen printing clamps etc set up etc and have mastered exposing my screen/washing out so far- I come unstuck however when I try printing... I do my flood fill etc and "Test" print onto a fixed piece of acetate for the sake of alignment (simply copying the method I was taught in class), get my fabric in place, pull the acetate back, re flood the screen, lay the screen back down and print.
photo(2).JPG
photo(2).JPG (78.68 KiB) Viewed 3930 times
MY SCREEN-NOTE THE DETAIL ON THE BOW...
photo 1(2).JPG
photo 1(2).JPG (117.37 KiB) Viewed 3930 times
PRINTED ON THE ACETATE...

The finer detail however is getting lost and the fabric ink seems to bleed (please see pics- You'll notice the bow has lost detail in particular). I have tested it out so far on good quality canvas/cotton fabric (much like a cotton shopping bag- as this is what I ultimately want to print onto) but it just doesn't seem to take well. Its not bleeding on the back of the screen, its just when it makes contact with the fabric itself, it seems to spread a little...
photo 2(2).JPG
photo 2(2).JPG (128.05 KiB) Viewed 3930 times
(PRINTED ONTO THE FABRIC)

What could I be doing wrong? Is it that I need to mix my ink with print medium? Apparently screentec inks are a little runnier than say speedball- could this be the issue? I really cant see how it could be the fabric itself that is causing an issue- as i say, its pretty standard fabric for printing onto.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Much appreciated!!