Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

phall917
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

process of creating an image on a screen

Post by phall917 »

I apologize if this topic has been posted before but I've been searching for almost an hour and couldn't find it, so here goes:

Ive been printing for a while but have never actually created an image on a screen before. i want to start printing myself but am not sure what hardware/software (if any) are required to create the screens. please advise. :D :D
xIIscrapsIIx
Intern
Intern

Re: process of creating an image on a screen

Post by xIIscrapsIIx »

Any drawing program will do fine. The best ones to use are Corel Draw or Photoshop. That being said, Gimp is a good one that does not cost anything. Just remember that you will need to print your transparencies in black ink. You will also need to make sure that the black ink on the screen is very opaque. When printing go into your printer settings and set the ink to photo quality, and the paper setting to premium photo paper.
-xIIscrapsIIx-
phall917
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by phall917 »

ok i have photoshop, will any old printer do? (mine is a piece of junk!) and as far as paper, will any old paper do or should it be like a rice paper or some other kind of semi transparent paper?

after that you simply line up the paper where you want the image on the screen, spread the emulsion, and place in the exposure unit, correct?
btw, thank you for your help!
xIIscrapsIIx
Intern
Intern

Post by xIIscrapsIIx »

On the printer you will just have to set up the printer to the settings I referred to or similar settings, then just see what your end results are. If you are seeing a lot of light through the image, then you can not use it. As far as paper, you can just pick up some transparencies from Wal-Mart. You just have to remember the light has to be able to go through the paper. The more light that can go through the paper the more it will expose, hence the reason you need your design to be opaque. If the design is not opaque enough then the light will expose portions that you do not want exposed, thus creating an issue of not being able to properly wash out the design.
phall917 wrote:after that you simply line up the paper where you want the image on the screen, spread the emulsion, and place in the exposure unit, correct?
btw, thank you for your help!
No, spread your emulsion on the screen first. Make sure that you are working in a light safe room, because UV is what exposes the emulsion. Let your emulsion dry, make sure that the emulsion is completely dry before attempting to expose the screen. Then align your design on the screen and expose under a UV light about 18 inches from the screen for about 13 minutes. Take the transparency off and wash out. Make sure to dry your screen before use. The emulsion should feel like plastic, not slimy.

Since you are just starting I would suggest a 1 on 1 coating for your emulsion. Which would be coat the outside of your screen first, then coat the inside. Let the screen dry flat side down. There are other coating methods, but this would be a good point to start. More layers of emulsion means a thicker stencil, a thicker stencil means a thicker layer of ink. I would get a feel for he basics first though.
-xIIscrapsIIx-
phall917
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by phall917 »

sounds like the same process my current employer uses, the emulsion is spread on both sides of the screen. ty for letting me know to let the emulsion dry b4 exposing, i probably would have exposed it wet :shock: !

ur awesome! thank you for your help
Closet Collection
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Closet Collection »

The burning of a screen is quite easy! Print out a paper using High quality settings on your printer which prints out the ink so it is completely black, allowing no light to pass through. Once your screen is emulsioned, allow it to dry(the time it takes to dry can vary. Mine takes about an hour since i have a darkroom with the heater turned on which circules hot air, allowing this process to happen at a faster rate). Once your screen is dried and your film is printed, you place your Film on the light machine and your screen on top. Turn on the light machine, and what ever the light touches will harden your emulsion, and what the light doesnt touch stays soft. You take out the screen, Wash it on both sides and after about 1 minute, the soft emulsion will fall off and What you will see is your image on the screen.

Feel free to check out my website closetcollection.com and contact me there if you have any more questions regarding screen printing!
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Post by tompaine »

Just start with a piece of black card and see if you get a decent screen out of that.