Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

xIIscrapsIIx
Intern
Intern

curing

Post by xIIscrapsIIx »

All I have is a heat gun right now... Can you properly cure a shirt with a heat gun, iron, or household dryer? I plan on getting a flash and conveyor dryer soon, but I have to come up with the money first. So I just need to get by until then.
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Re: curing

Post by tompaine »

It will work but the risk of scorching your shirts is high.
xIIscrapsIIx
Intern
Intern

Post by xIIscrapsIIx »

Which would be the best option to go with?
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

Best option would be to switch ti air dry inks until you have the proper tools for plastisol use.
xIIscrapsIIx
Intern
Intern

Post by xIIscrapsIIx »

I'm using waterbased inks... Where can I find air dry inks?... Does air dry inks hold up well?
-xIIscrapsIIx-
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

try nazdar, I prefer plastisol over air dry or water base, just my personal pref. But if you want good results you must be able to properly cure, not just flash.
xIIscrapsIIx
Intern
Intern

Post by xIIscrapsIIx »

Thanks, you are really helpful!... In the end result will they produce the same result as long as they are all properly cured?
-xIIscrapsIIx-
xIIscrapsIIx
Intern
Intern

Post by xIIscrapsIIx »

So if your print a shirt and the ink cracks and washes out, would that be from the ink being under cured?
-xIIscrapsIIx-
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

Air dry inks when I used them last for textiles, (which is a very long time ago) HAD A HARD FEEL TO THE PRINT BUT WERE BULLETPROOF. i THINK IT WAS CALLED flock adhesive. (sorry my cap lock was on). You can get away with just a flash using water or plastisol inks, but not the best of ideas. I would say find a cheap flash on ebay or craigslist or something and as soon as you can, add a small conveyor. Years ago when I finally was able to upgrade to plastisol I was fortunate enough to get my press, flash and conveyor all at once from a business that had closed. And yes, cracking and washing out are signs of an improper cure. Overcured is easy to figure out. Smoke and fire or a yellow crispy shirt. So my guess would be undercured. :mrgreen:
xIIscrapsIIx
Intern
Intern

Post by xIIscrapsIIx »

Well maybe if I over cure the shirts I can use them for char cloth when I go camping... Perfect for starting camp fires. lol j/k... Is there any flash dryers that you recommend that I not get?
-xIIscrapsIIx-
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

They're really a fairly simple machine. Basically just an element like you would find in a conveyor on an adjustable stand. AWT may be a good place to find a used one. Tyhere is also a flash and conveyor for sale in the classifed section.