Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

A Band Apart
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Which ink should I use?

Post by A Band Apart »

Hi everyone!

I'm an artist who wants to start screen printing large canvases and am not sure what type of ink to use. I've been researching the types of inks out there and their uses. Basically, I want to print on large unstretched canvas that will be primed with two coats of gesso and sanded to make a smooth surface (non-porous).

I see my choices are plastisol, water-based and acrylic inks. I was told by my friend who screen prints that water based is the best route to go because I won't have any way to cure the plastisol (no heat source available) I'm wary of the water based because of how quick it can dry. Unless I use a retarder, I don't want to start ruining screens because of the ink drying too fast.

Then I saw Speedball has an acrylic ink for screen printing and was wondering if that would be ideal to use on my canvases. I'm quite familiar with acrylic paints and how they work from my painting background. I am wondering if it's about the same.....

Anybody know which one I should go with?

Thanks guys!
geneh
Intern
Intern

Re: Which ink should I use?

Post by geneh »

My concern would be making sure what ever ink you choice adheres to your primer you are putting on your canvas.