Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

jennverr
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

New Here

Post by jennverr »

Hi all

I am new to the forum. I have some experience with screen printing - took a class when I was in college where we made digital manipulations on the computer, printed them on transparencies, exposed them to a screen then printed them in cmyk type thing. I want to do this sort of thing again, and wondered if there are any "at home" type kits for this type of work. Primarily want to use on paper/fabric? Do any of the speedball kits work for this type of stuff. The only thing I can't figure out is how those kits work with exposing the transparency to the screen, if that makes sense. in my memory i remember using a huge machine to sort of expose it on the screen so we could ink through it. How does that work with those kits?

Thanks!
anthemscreenprinting
Intern
Intern

Re: New Here

Post by anthemscreenprinting »

The Speedball kits are an inexpensive way to get back into screen printing, but not necessarily the best. The screen and squeegee they come with are pretty low quality, but work alright for basic screen printing. If you do decide to buy one of these kits, you'll probably want to buy a better screen and squeegee once you get the hang of screen printing again. As for exposing (burning the image into the screen so you can pass ink through it), most of the Speedball kits don't come with light bulb to do this. A cheap option is to buy a 500 watt worker's halogen light which you can find for about $20 at just about any building supply store. Just make sure you unscrew and remove the UV filter. One of these lights will burn a screen in about 7 minutes when positioned about a foot and a half above the screen. Just make sure you lay a piece of glass over the transparency to make sure it is nice and tight on the screen. Hope this helps!
Anthem Screen Printing
  • Screen Printing Supplies
  • Screen Burning Services
doganonymous
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: New Here

Post by doganonymous »

try doing a search for "gocco" and "yudu screenprinting". no, i'm not an affiliate or promoter, just that i've read about these during my initial start. Maybe u'll find your answer or possibly more..good luck