Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

john
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Beginner seeking info/assistance w/screens, printing

Post by john »

Greetings,
I'm a long-time letterpress/litho printer, just starting in screen printing. And I have a lot of questions!
My first challenge has been to create a fine line screen, using Chromaline SR film and 305 mesh screen.
According to the 21 step scale, exposure to achieve "clear" area at step 7-10 is 30 seconds (units, on my NuArc
unit w/light integrator). But I've had difficulty getting the film to adhere to the screen . . . . it has applied better
with an exposure of about 16 seconds. So I'm wondering if underexposure is better - am I over-hardening the film at the longer exposure?
Next question is abrading the mesh . . . how much is enough? And how do you tell?
And, finally, I have printed a few test sheets (black, non-textile ink on white process blanks), but have found that the screen tends to "fill in" or "clog" after a few impressions, even on larger type (24 pt or so).
Any info or advice is appreciated!
geneh
Intern
Intern

Re: Beginner seeking info/assistance w/screens, printing

Post by geneh »

But I've had difficulty getting the film to adhere to the screen . Next question is abrading the mesh . . . how much is enough? And how do you tell?

Ok if I understand this correctly your film is not sticking to you mesh. Are you using a pre prep before appling the film. And as for abraiding your mesh I never do abraid, I dehaze my new screens before appling the pre prep and film. Make sure your film is dry before exposing the film. What watt of exposure lamp are you using? I have an Olec with a 5000 watt lamp and I expose my CX film at 85 units. True we are using different films but 16 units seems really fast. With your 21 step gauge I always shoot for a hard 7 that means everthing from 2 to 7 is still there after developing the screen and 8 through 21 washes out. As for your printing issue I would try to thin the ink a little start out at 10% and go from there if 10 helps but still a issue add more thinner but I would not go more than 20% or you will shock the ink. I hope this helps please keep us posted.
NateB
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: Beginner seeking info/assistance w/screens, printing

Post by NateB »

Instead of capillary film try some good liquid emulsion that will handle your halftones.

I've never worked with capilary film, but the only time I've ever wanted to was when I needed super thick stencils for high-density print effects at any rate you would use it on 110 mesh or under, certainly not 305.

Tell your supplier what you want to do. I like Ulano TZ emulsion for just about everything.