Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

eclectic4electric
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Manual Press or wait to go big???

Post by eclectic4electric »

Ello people,

I started a clothing company a little over a year ago. We have been out-sourcing our printing but I have been biting my lip about it the entire time. I have been thinking more and more that we need to do our own printing but understand that it is a serious time and money investment, especially as I have no experience besides the basics I have learned from maintaining a good relationship with our printer and periodically going by his shop. I have been looking at this forum for a few days now and see that everyone is more than willing to throw out advice and tips which is awesome. I was thinking that it would save us some money to do the more basic prints ourself (1 or 2 colors) and figured that we could also save money in doing the neck prints (to replace tags) and other simple work instead of paying our printer the extra fees for printing our logo on the reverse side of the design, etc. I also would like to be able to do booty shorts (which also brings up if this is even possible on a bigger manual press) and custom tee work for friends that I know I could do to help fund the printing and learning process. My question is should I look into a manual press (and if so a ballpark of what I would need to become operational) or should I just wait and look into some serious equipment?? If anybody reads this and is confused but can offer some help then just tell me what to clarify :D. Thanks for the help!!

-Joe
d fleming

Re: Manual Press or wait to go big???

Post by d fleming »

I'd say start with a manual, outsource the complicated work still and learn. If you decide to go auto after that, you will have a good basic knowledge base of screenprinting and be able to apply your newly aquired skills to the new machine and you will still have a manual off to the side in case your auto is down for repair.
eclectic4electric
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by eclectic4electric »

Ya that is kinda what I figured. If we were looking to be able to do full shirt (oversized printing) onto tee's, any suggestions on what equipment to look for and where to look for it?
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

On your search just make sure you tell whomever your in discussion with that you intend to print full garment. That requires larger platens and screens and the press needs to accomodate that. Stick with the larger more reputable manufacturers that have been around a while. You may even find a good used one if you look hard enough, maybe through awt or someone like that.