Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lorax
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Bulb or sun?

Post by Lorax »

Okay really basic question here. I am just starting to screen print for fun, making my own shirts or whatever else and I'm planning on doing some real simple photo emulsion. Ive used the drawing fluid and filler before, but now I'm moving on and trying to incorporate my photographs. I was wondering when you expose the screen with the emulsion, is it better to use sunlight or a bulb? Does it matter and whats the difference? Any other tips for a first timer would be much appreciated. Seems like this place has a preety good vibe.
boraxx
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by boraxx »

Sunlight works fine but is really hard to control.
:P
Lorax
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Lorax »

What do you mean? Can someone compare the results of the two for me. Thanks.
d fleming

God vs Man

Post by d fleming »

I'll take a stab at it. Sunlight exposure will take about 30% longer in winter than in summer because of the difference in distance from the Earth to the Sun. An exposure unit will remain steady for quite some time. As the bulbs get older, you may need to increase exposure time and eventually replace bulb(s). If more than one, always replace all bulbs at same time to achieve consistancy and uniform exposure. If you use the sun and it is cloudy or raining, you can't shoot screens. I use the sun for my biggest frames (12') but that art is fat and huge. I use balck vinyl stuck straight to the screen as art and RLX emulsion. The RLX is the only stencil system we use because we can print t-shirts and flat stock, simple and fine art with no problems. If you want to shoot fine art or halftones, you will need a strong single point light system for exposure. Long exposure times undercut halftones and fine lines making for poor or unuseable stencils.
Roger Jennings
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

exposure unit - make your own cheap

Post by Roger Jennings »

go to www.youtube.com and in the search window type "Screen Printing's Best Exposure Unit". That will answer your questions, or contact roger@rjennings.com, and I will answer your questions.
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

Roger, what an excellent training video. I intend to watch the rest as time permits. I've been printing and teaching for 26 years and this is by far one of the best aids I've seen. Everyone should check it out if for nothing other than a refresher. Thanks for posting.
Dave
Roger Jennings
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

exposing screens

Post by Roger Jennings »

Dave:

Thanks for the comment. Any other videos besides the 5 currently listed on www.rjennings.com that you would like to see us produce?

The sound could be better. So today I ordered a mike. We are new at this production stuff. So the video/audio quality should be gettng better.

Please let us know any suggestions you have. If you have screen printing questions, we will answer those as well. For starters, we have eliminated spray adhesive due to the health hazard, mess it creates, and to improve print quality. We never made a screen a second time. We get no ghost images. And more, and all for good reasons. So if y ou have these kind of problems, we have solutions. I look forward to hearing from you. Roger
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

Hey Roger,
How did you eliminate spray tac on a manual t-shirt press? I started in the biz a long time ago at a uniform company printing shirts. Way before flash cures and film output. Remember hand cut rubylith? How about wet on wet on black? Ah the good old days.
I have two exposure units, one is metal halide the other is flourescent tubes. Just can't bring myself to get rid of it. I also have a vacuum frame for exposure. Then there's the good old Florida sunshine. I'm more a flat stock printer than textile, have a cameo and an AWT. I inherited an old M&R 6 color a few years back and dabble in t-shirts no more than necessary. It's still nice to print shirts all day with the radio instead of running the place and answering the phones once in a while. Made the move to Solvent Inkjet as well. Got rid of my one arm when I did. Haven't regretted it one bit. It's nice to make a 6 ft photo if you need to. Banners, etc are so easy now and look awesome. Router, sandblast unit, plotters, screenprint, metal fabricating, it all keeps me pretty busy but I did very much enjoy the videos. I taught Commercial Art in the local High School system for a few years but couldn't keep my family at that income level when I knew I could do betterfor them. What a shame, I really did like teaching. Teachers in Florida truly are underpaid. Next time I hire a new squeegee rat I'm going to have him watch your videos before I start training on the press. Again, excellent tool.