Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

one800higgins
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Help me find a starting place...

Post by one800higgins »

So I had the chance to teach myself screen printing at a University my girlfriend attended in PA. They had all the equipment and supplies I needed to learn the hobby. The problem is that I have since then moved to NC and I don't have access to any of that.

I'm looking to start the hobby, but on a more personal level. I have a spare bedroom and figured it would be nice to turn it into a studio of some sort to put out some screen prints and maybe a few t-shirts... Nothing major. I'm thinking that I will likely use the walk-in closet as sort of a dark room for burning screens, build a vacuum table, and hang some clothes lines across the room for drying out prints / shirts.

So my questions...

- What's a great startup brand for printing on paper and fabric that isn't too costly?
- Any kits you might recommend, aside from the Speedball ones? I haven't heard very many good things about those cheap speedball kits.
- Any links to walk throughs, tutorials, etc that might help me along the way (setups for newbies, DIY vacuum table plans, basic rules of screen printing / mesh counts)?