Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

squidge
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Plastisol or H2O

Post by squidge »

Hi there

I have had a good search around and unless I have missed it I cant find a search result.

I am a bit of a newbie to screenprinting, I did quite a lot at university and really enjoyed it so 11 years down the line am getting back into it. I am sorting out my equipment right now but need a little advise on what inks to buy.

I will pretty much focused on printing posters, and paper, with a few textiles here and there, but probably quite rare. Could someone tell me what is best, Plastisol or Water based inks?

I know that each have their pors and cons, with Plastisol inks there are more options on colours, more types of inks such as specials, (would like to try out the UV varnishes and all that), they dont dry out, and are a little thicker which I like the idea of when they sit a little above the paper. But they need probably a flash dryer to cure.

Water based inks however I guess dont need that flash dryer but do need air flow to dry them. Less options with inks I guess? Or maybe not? Are you able to get specials like Varnishes with these inks?

Any advice here would be great as I am in two minds, I guess the first big question is do Plastisol inks work on paper ;)

Thanks for your time
d fleming

Re: Plastisol or H2O

Post by d fleming »

Different inks for different media/substrates. Plastisol is for textiles. Many water base or solvent base inks can be used for paper and other purposes. You can go to nazdar.com and download a substrate compatibility chart from their site telling you what ink is for what purpose.
squidge
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: Plastisol or H2O

Post by squidge »

Great stuff thanks for the help