Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

PRINTERnewbX
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

New to printing.....automotive gauges?

Post by PRINTERnewbX »

I'm new to this site as well as printing. I've been looking into starting my own custom automotive gauge face company. I read that it used to be done by screenprinting, but now there is new technology. Am I correct that UV Inkjet is the way to go?
I'm looking to start a small company run from my home right now and drum up business from car clubs and swap meets. Is there a small starter(desktop size) setup I could use to do this? Does anyone know where I may find more information on starting this sort of company?
I could ask more companies, but alas, they do not want competition, therefore they are not willing to give up information easily.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
I hope I get some good leads here. I've been snooping around here for a bit and this seems to be a wonderful community!
:D
THANK YOU !
geneh
Intern
Intern

Re: New to printing.....automotive gauges?

Post by geneh »

Try Mimaki they make UV inkjet printers. I have also seen dashboards printed on Indigo presses. But for small custom work you might want to look at screen printing this will give you more flexabilty to print on different substrates. I myself just did a set of gauges for a gentelman printed on gold aluminum I had to screen this with epoxe inks. Since your just starting up your business you might want to out source your printing until you see how big it turns into. Good Luck!!!!!
PRINTERnewbX
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by PRINTERnewbX »

Thank you for the response! So, am I on the right path, was the info I listed correct?
Do you think the UV inkjet would be more user friendly and smoother than screen printing what I believe is usually polycarbonate/lexan for gauges? I think there was a 3M product that started with a D(i forget now---dextyl or something) that i heard being used.
Since you've done some gauges, can you direct me to some good materials/ink suppliers?(inkjet or screening)
Thanks a million!
geneh
Intern
Intern

Post by geneh »

From what I gathered from your first post you want to do custom work if this is true UV ink jet may not be what you are looking for,due to the fact you are locked into the use of certian substrates and inks that the press manufacture specs.I belive you are correct on the use of polycarbonate as the main substrate the auto world uses for dashboards. I would check with Sabic for substrates they have an HP series that is a hard coated lexan/ polycarbonate plus a large array of other materials that might work for you. Just an fyi what is Sabic use to be GE. For Inks I would try Nazdar they have a great array of inks for all types of substrates. They also carry a good line of texture coats for first surface printing on hard coated substrates. My advice would be to decide how you want to produce your parts screen or ink jet or digital. Also try the SGIA website they have a lot of information on different types of printing. But for me I'm a screen printer, digital is ok but has its faults same with ink jet using screen printing I'm not locked into certian inks substrates I can do what ever I can or want to do. I hope this helps post if you have more questions and good luck
PRINTERnewbX
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by PRINTERnewbX »

This was one main thing I based my findings on(i googled and found this):
"It's printed on Polycarbonate aka Lexan...
Printing process is similar to off-set printing....
I can't tell you exact printing process which is my trade secret...
But this isn't your average inkjet or color lazer printer...
I'm not charging my price for just something that average people can make..."
He then says:
"This isn't something like DIY stuff..
If you are familiar with screen printing, then you have an idea what kind of printing process it is....
It's similar process, but uses differnet machine and material
But I can't show any deeper then that.... "

Here's a link to some of his work, and that post:
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151336

He says screenprinting, but then says it's like off-set printing. He then mentions machines, etc. I'm taking from it that he is using a UV printer, but it's not real clear.
Anyway, do you have any ideas of where I might find a place in Eastern PA that teaches some of this screen printing? I'm gonna check out this SGIA site and others you mentioned.
PRINTERnewbX
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by PRINTERnewbX »

Oh, btw, I believe dye sublimation is the print process I was referring to. Am I wrong, or doesnt it sound quicker than screening? ....design, print, heat instead of design, print template, screen, dry, etc

Although, as I think you mentioned, screening is easily more versatile...
geneh
Intern
Intern

Post by geneh »

I can tell you this much he's using a velvet textured lexan looks like 8b35 or something simular to that. And his print process is not screen printing to much light blow by from the LED's on the icons to be screen printed. As for the carbon fiber material I don't have a clue looks like he might of cut the carbon fiber and laminated printed clear lexan over it. I have been trying to print on carbon fiber and not having a lot of luck. My guess is that he is digitaly printing the gauges with multiple passes of black on them to opaque out the icons the best he can. Plus the deadfronts on the icons are not very dead looking which means he's using some sort of digital printing. Also when he say's he's using lexan this is a common material for digital printers to use such as a HP Indigo. I hope this helps let me know.
PRINTERnewbX
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by PRINTERnewbX »

Each thing I read here leads me to more research! I'm really enjoying this forum :D
See, you have a better eye at this than I do, being as new to this as I am. I wouldn't have known if it was digital or sublimation unless you put them side by side.
I will keep researching and return with more info and I'm sure questions...
PRINTERnewbX
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by PRINTERnewbX »

Well, I've been getting some free time to search here and there and have even seen a few dye sublimation printers that would work My gripe, not only will companies that dont want you as competition e-mail you back, but neither will companies that supposedly want to sell me products! What is with customer service anymore. Since I've started this post, I've e-mailed close to a dozen companies that sell screenprinting products and not one of them has gotten back to me. Simply put: what process do you feel is the best, what products/kits can you sell me to get started. I would like to think that when my "customer" e-mails to say they want some info and want to purchase some of my products that I'll get back to them....
geneh
Intern
Intern

Post by geneh »

I agree customer service sucks when it comes to printing press service!!!!! With that said my advice is to figure out what process you want to do it looks like you are leaning to sublimanation this is a process i'm not up to speed on. But I have asked a few of my collegeus about it and they say it is screen printing on transfer paper then you transfer on sustrate with heat. the big question is equitment from what I was told you just screen print so you need a press and maybe a dryer. I would suggest you try a company called AWT world trade group the phone # is 773-777-7100 they are located in Chicago, IL they are a global source so they can ship anywhere. Talk to them they sell new and remanufactured equitment. After that you will need to find a ink company to deal with try Kyle@decochem.com he can get you started they deal with sublimanation inks for glass so they should be able to help you out. Good luck and keep me posted
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

If you decide to go with screenprinting I have an awt accuprint for sale to get you started.
http://www.signs101.com/pp-classifieds/ ... t/84/cat/9