Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

2ampress
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Youtube is a great teacher

Post by 2ampress »

I have yet to get all of my equipment together to start my shop, so in the mean time, I'm spending some time each day watching videos posted by other people in the industry about their techniques for getting stuff done.
Everything from screen prep to separations on artwork to printing and curing on the press.
I've gained a wealth of knowledge from these videos.
The process in which I am attempting to figure out better is simulated process printing.
I will be getting a 6 color 6 station press and it looks like I will somewhat be limited to printing simulated process, especially when actual photos are involved.
Probably for most orders, 6 color will do, but I know I'll get a few that I just won't be happy with a 6 color press. I guess I'll have to wait until I can afford a larger press.
I am currently building a light exposure box for my screens using a Metal Halide 1000w single light source. I've looked for an electrically controlled timer, but haven't found one that allows you to control seconds. Looks like I will be using a normal light switch and a separate count down timer. :x
I just bought a 1800w flash cure unit from ebay for $318 which included shipping.
Now I just need to get my press and a few other items and away I go at experimenting on test shirts for a few days before I go live with production orders.
Anyhow, Youtube has been a great source to either learn or confirm my thoughts on how to perform particular tasks with screen printing.

I am on another forum non related to screen printing which has quite a large member base...I wish this forum had more members and was more active in discussions.
I will do my part to keep this forum alive with new and informative posts. :)

Cheers,

Tracy
Libertarians are the only individuals that do not want to restrict freedoms.
geneh
Intern
Intern

Re: Youtube is a great teacher

Post by geneh »

It is nice to hear someone that is fired up about screen printing. Knowledge is a great part of this art but doing is a whole lot different that watching a video. I have been doing this for over 20 years and learn something new every day and that is what makes it fun. The gentle man that trained me told me the day you quite learning in this bussiness you might as well retire. If you would like some more info on screen printing try the SGIA website they have all kinds of info from printing to screen making check it out. And if you want great info on screen making and coating check out (kiwo.com) they have videos and all kinds of good stuff. And remember one thing learn from your mistakes cause you will make them if not then your not printing!!!!!!!!!!
neon_noise
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: Youtube is a great teacher

Post by neon_noise »

were there any videos in particular that were especially helpful? I'm following the DIY approach and am looking for ways to create some multi-color prints without a multi-screen press.