Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

furry chinch
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

BEST advice for a newb!!

Post by furry chinch »

Hi everyone. I myself got into screenprinting recently, and want to share the MOST HELPFUL thing that's worked for me. I read books, bought supplies, watched videos, and none of it made me comfortable with the process. Until...

I went to a local screen printing supply store (gathering supplies it turned out I didn't even need). Before I left I asked the salesman if he knew of anyone that might let me go to their shop and watch and ask questions. WITHOUT FLINCHING he gave me a guy's name, and told me how to get to the shop. I showed up, introduced myself, and said I wanted to learn how to do it and if they would mind if I watched them work. They were TOTALLY cool with me, and I learned enough in 3 months to start my own company.

I'm a visual learner, so all the theory in the world didn't compare to getting my hands dirty and having a person to bounce my endless stream of questions on.

I'm aware that this man is somewhat of a rarity. He's not worried about me taking business from him. I think most shops would be reluctant to give away all their trade secrets, but there are people out there that are just plain old nice for the sake of being nice. This is one way I can pay him back for what he's done for me.

Ask for what you need. You never know what you might get 8)

furry chinch
screenprintguy
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: BEST advice for a newb!!

Post by screenprintguy »

That's awesome, congrats! I agree hands on is the best way to learn. The books still did me a lot of good though.
David Walker
CrownsPrinting
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: BEST advice for a newb!!

Post by CrownsPrinting »

That is definitely a good Idea, one of my biz partners and I were talking about this a few days ago. You just confirmed it, thanks! :P
Crowns Screen Printing, San Diego
http://www.CrownsPrinting.com