Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

Say Anything
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

I'm new at this... I'm sure you are tired of hearing that

Post by Say Anything »

Hi,

I just started a new business with almost no knowledge about screen printing (figured I would give it a shot and worst case.. it will just turn into a hobby I like to do) I did it kind of cheap ( bought a tatoo's shop old equipment) I'm not real sure what type of curing equip I got though (
black body lc2200
black body lc2200
6-14-09-2.jpg (188.41 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
100_1786-2.jpg
100_1786-2.jpg (218.54 KiB) Viewed 1934 times
I used the black and blue unit first... due to outlets, but I didn't like it. It has an oven heating element... but when I washed the shirt.. it faded and cracked. When I did the stretch test after curing... the image didn't crack though. I cured for 45 seconds - 1 min.

I also noticed that when I wore the shirts, the ink seemed to stick to my body ( is that suposed to happen?) I don't know if it is due to the poor quality shirts (50/50 Jerzees - I don't know the weight)

I switched to the black body unit.. I like it better because the heating surface is uniform (not a heating element), but it does not have a temp control switch, nor an on/off switch. I have to unplug it to turn it off.

I don't know if I am curing long enough or how hot my equip gets. I've read that you should cure your shirts for about 45 seconds to get a proper cure, but you also need to hit 340 degrees to do that. How can I tell if I have reached that temp with no temp control?... and how long should I let the shirt cure? ?!?!?!?! Is the ink suposed to smoke when curing?!?!?!?!

Also, when it comes to aligning the shirt on the platen... do you just go by feel?..sight? That is what I am doing and it works sometimes... and sometimes I'm either off a hair or crooked.... so I waste shirts/ink/time. Is there a better way to align the shirts?

Sorry, I'm trying to ask everything in hopes that the fix is all related.

Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Josh
Being Creative is only Crazy.. with a twist.
d fleming

Re: I'm new at this... I'm sure you are tired of hearing that

Post by d fleming »

You can get heat test strips and flashable spray adhesive from nazdar. Ink will smoke somewhat during curing. If the shirt gets crispy or catches fire, you have flashed too long! :shock:
Say Anything
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Say Anything »

Is there any negative effect when you cure for too long? ... well besides the flaming shirt. If I cure too long will it result in a damaged shirt for my customer?... I mean will the ink crack or break off during a wash cycle?
Being Creative is only Crazy.. with a twist.
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

You can scorch and ruin the shirt if you flash too long. Ink cracking and peeling is usually a sign of under curing. :wink: