Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

nickijayneh
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Photo emulsion

Post by nickijayneh »

Hi,

I'm a complete novice at screen printing and today tried to emulsion my first screens (which happen to be 2nd hand screens that I have cleaned). On one of the screens I found that the emulsion wouldn't stick to the screen, so I have patches where it has kind of repelled the screen. Just wondering if this is a common prob due to previous use of sticky tape perhaps??

The screens look perfectly clean and are in good condition, does anyone have any ideas as to why the emulsion would not glide onto the screen. Also, I didn't do it in an actual dark room, but a dimly lit garage - and turned off the light super quick once applied. Any help much appreciated!

Also wondering how you know that the image has been exposed enough when burning in sunlight, do i simply lift the transparency to check?

Thanks, Nicki
d fleming

Re: Photo emulsion

Post by d fleming »

On one of the screens I found that the emulsion wouldn't stick to the screen

then you have something on the fabric, try a haze remover, what type of emulsion are you using?

Also, I didn't do it in an actual dark room, but a dimly lit garage

I coat screens in very dim roomlight and then slam them in the dry/dark box, but I use ulano rlx and the exposure time isn't that quick

how you know that the image has been exposed enough when burning in sunlight

for rlx in the summer, 3 minutes in florida. winter 4 ( the light source is further away). do not lift the art from the screen until you are done exposing, you'll never get it back right. do a search for in top right corner on step wedge test and try that method for the answer to exposure time. make sure your art is firm against screen to avoid undercutting of light.

wail away;-)