Moderator: Moderator Team

styrofoam
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

DIY Screen degreasing

Post by styrofoam »

Hey guys,

it's my first post here on this forum.

I was just thinking if you knew a way to clean your screen with normal household substances.
Here in Germany I haven't found a good screen printing utility supplier that has everything I need so I try to improvise in a few ways.

Will Isopropanol for example be okay to clean grease off your screen or will that hurt the mesh?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Cheers,
Alex
Tom V
Intern
Intern

Re: DIY Screen degreasing

Post by Tom V »

I'm sure it would work...for a while, but eventually you'd have some trouble either with the fumes or the mesh itself. What about a glass cleaner like Windex? I've never tried that but that might work and it would be a little easier on the lungs.
duath01
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by duath01 »

I've used diluted Simple Green without problem.
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

dawn dishwashing liquid removes grease. Clean rinse after.
X_Autotype_#1
Intern
Intern

Post by X_Autotype_#1 »

I suggest tri-sodium phosphate (TSP). Using dishwashing soap or other household cleaners will only cause problems at some point. The problem is that household cleaners contain additives that make it smell nice, or make is shine better. Many of these additives will cause the stencil to repel from the mesh, rather than provide a good bond. TSP is a good alternative. It doesn't smell at all, is clear, and is commonly used for degreasing prior to painting. It works great for degreasing mesh prior to stencil application. You can usually find it at a hardware store or paint store in powder form, or in a spray bottle.

Stay away from solvents - when they dry they leave a residue that will prevent good adhesion of the stencil to the mesh.

Good luck!
squeegeethree
Intern
Intern

Post by squeegeethree »

A fool proof way to degrease a new screen is to coat it, expose it and reclaim it. We use fantastic to clean up WB screens and never have a problem that requires another round of degreasing.
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

I guess I've just been lucky for the last 30 years with dish soap.