Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

M1Clothing
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Ink thickness. Using reducers and extenders

Post by M1Clothing »

Very new to screen printing. First time poster.

Really need some advice on how thick plastisol inks should be. I've been able to do a couple half decent prints with 110 mesh counts, using a 2 color design on a black shirt. The problem is that the finalized product is pretty thick, and I've seen on other posts that you should be able to get 1000's of prints from a gallon of plastisol. The way it's gone so far I would be amazed if I got more than 200.

I have three screens, one that is both colors together I've been using for the underbase, and then the two separate colors.

I had an issue with needing multiple strokes because the pallets I was using weren't completely flat. Now I have some new pallets on the way and I'm ready for round two. I have some reducer, no extender at the moment.

I'm sure that ink thickness depends on what is being printed and the different mesh counts, etc. Does anyone have any tips or info on the project I've mentioned above?
d fleming

Re: Ink thickness. Using reducers and extenders

Post by d fleming »

New pallets will likely fix the majority of your problem. I've only rarely had to use soft hand clear to mix down plastisol and then only white. Usually a good workout on a clean, flat surface with a spatula will soften up ink just fine. Also try using a finer mesh than 110 for your underbase, the underbase print doesn't have to be exceptionally heavy, just enough to make your top color "pop".
M1Clothing
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: Ink thickness. Using reducers and extenders

Post by M1Clothing »

Thank you so much for your time!