Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

farayray
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

drawing to printing

Post by farayray »

i'm an artist who is interested in making some simple one color screenprints. at the risk of being chastised for my ignorance, any of you out there know where i can find some tutorials on getting from actual physical drawings to prints. scan the drawings into photoshop or some other program i know, but then figuring out how to turn the drawing into a positive is where i get lost. pen and ink and pencil drawings i'm talking about. any help would be appreciated....
madz
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: drawing to printing

Post by madz »

Once you print out onto acetate, the image IS the positive. Briefly, You tape the acetate on to the coated screen and expose it to light. The blacks of your image block out the light and the photo-sensitive emulsion will wash out of these areas, allowing the ink to come through when you print. So there's no need to reverse the blacks and whites like in photography. All it requires is a fairly clean, blocky or high contrast image with clearly defined positive and negative areas. Washy graded/shaded/rendered areas won't register so you need to pixellate them, 'generalise' them or change into halftone (photoshop function). You can achieve a low quality print by photocopying your drawing, then photocopying it onto a transparency yourself or at a print centre. The problem is there is much that can go wrong (ie.margins, stretch, density, noise) unless your print shop really understand and care about what you need. I too prefer to draw things by hand but If you can access a scanner, scan it in at 300dpi and use photoshop (or similar) for re-sizing, combining multiple images, de-fuzzing, controlling layers (for multiple colour prints) etc. On the other hand if you want something rough and the 'quality' doesn't matter ie if you're collaging images for art etc. you might find it interesting to play with the weird stuff that can happen. Good Luck.
duath01
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by duath01 »

I'm also in a similar position (also a newbie) whereas I have an illustration that's 8.5x11 and would like to enlarge and print it at 12.5x12.5. The problem is my output device will only handle 8.5x11. So far what I've come up with is: re-do the illustration on 12.5x12.5 tracing paper or take two sheets of 8.5x11 acetate taped together to get as close as possible. In other words my desired print size is larger than my output size. What is the best way to get film the size of my desired print size?
I checked with the local Staples and they only output acetate up to 8.5x11.
What do those folks that make posters that are 24x36 use for their film positives?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

I use a 3 foot wide roll of film from sihl and a 44" wide epson 9500 printer.
duath01
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by duath01 »

WOW! That's quite large. Any suggestions as to what my options are?
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

Epson makes some good printers that can print 11x17. I print film that big for doing coroplast signs. Also have a 64" solvent printer for outdoor sign work and vehicle graphics, banners, etc.
duath01
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by duath01 »

I have a HP1220C (old) ink jet that will do up to 13x19 but can find any acetate that big for output. Can it be done with regular paper?
I'll be using 20x24 frame coated with SWR-3 emulsion for water base ink and a 500w halogen to expose.
longword123
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by longword123 »

Hi there, I'm Van from Manila, Philippines.. A newbie here and pretty much interested on any legal and decent money m aking activity... even though I'm still a student... LOL
I really love doing a business just to keep myself busy on making my earnings...