Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

blackflame
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Thinking about starting...

Post by blackflame »

For the past couple of weeks I have been seriously thinking about starting to screen print. My goal is to break even really. I'm a graphic designer and I would like to keep it that way. However, printing would be fun and I could print a lot of my own shirts. I know that the start up isn't cheap. Some of the shirts I have designed people have told me they would buy them if they got printed. After I print 10 of my shirts with maybe a few other jobs in between I think I would be saving money as opposed to someone else doing it.

What do you guys think? Is that do able? Is there a website that has decent information on it? A lot of information I am finding is very...well I know its not the right way lol. Lets just keep it at that. I need a start up asset list and a few of your opinions.

Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Thinking about starting...

Post by ROADSIDE »

I would say no.
You would have to print and sell about 1000 shirts to start seeing any savings.
Plus there is the learning curve. You are not going to just buy equipment and sell awesome shirts the next day.

I started out with the same idea you have.
I started having someone print my designs around 1994. I sold them out of my car, at local hang outs and concerts.
Made a nice bit of money from 1993-2002 selling my designs.
Then I started working at a screen printing shop as their in house designer. I worked there for about 6 weeks and decided to open my own shop (2003).
Now all I do is print for other people. I rarely, if ever, print my own designs.

If I were you... I would get your designs printed by someone and just resell them. If you can get a shirt for like $8-10 and sell it for at least $15-20 you will make money and still have time to design new shirts. If you have to print and sell and design..... well it wont be easy

good luck
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
Art2Shirt
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Art2Shirt »

Have to agree with Roadside, I've been at this about 20 yrs and most seem to struggle if they design,print and sell.
blackflame
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by blackflame »

Well what is the startup cost to start printing 4 colors? It seems like I could do it for about $600ish. Btw, I'm not looking for top of the line equipment. Am I way off on that? I know a few people that need some shirts printed. They are VERY simple, 1 color, not a lot of detail. On top of that it looks like if I do the printing I could get a shirt for about 3-4 bucks a piece. That would make it much easier to make profit. Especially since there is no minimum print amount. I have a design that will cost me about $250 bucks to print. I don't think I could make that back(easily). Then when I want to print off another one it will be a headache.

All I want to do it break even. I still haven't got any information on that be really tough. Seems like I could do it fairly quickly.

Then again, I could be totally off on start up pricing too. I would always be doing pretty low runs so like I said, it wouldn't need to be top of the line equipment.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

If you are a designer.... DESIGN
Let the printers print and the sales people sell.

Start off with RESEARCH.
Goto the mall or local shopping center.
Look at the prices of comparable products to what you are going to produce.
T-shirts are going for $15 and UP for a generic print.
Dont start thinking about buying equipment and becoming an overnight millionaire.
Start thinking about creating a DEMAND FOR YOUR PRODUCT.
Get some feed back about your designs on paper. Ask friends, family and your target market.

After doing your research... if 9 out of 10 people like your design. Think about getting it printed.
$250 investment on a simple design should get you at least $450 in return.
(this is all without you printing a thing)

When you have a nice chunk of money (in my case it was $183,000) invest in some equipment and workers and start printing for yourself.
Make sense?
blackflame
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by blackflame »

ROADSIDE wrote:If you are a designer.... DESIGN
Let the printers print and the sales people sell.

Start off with RESEARCH.
Goto the mall or local shopping center.
Look at the prices of comparable products to what you are going to produce.
T-shirts are going for $15 and UP for a generic print.
Dont start thinking about buying equipment and becoming an overnight millionaire.
Start thinking about creating a DEMAND FOR YOUR PRODUCT.
Get some feed back about your designs on paper. Ask friends, family and your target market.

After doing your research... if 9 out of 10 people like your design. Think about getting it printed.
$250 investment on a simple design should get you at least $450 in return.
(this is all without you printing a thing)

When you have a nice chunk of money (in my case it was $183,000) invest in some equipment and workers and start printing for yourself.
Make sense?
Yeah, I don't think you have been reading what I want to do.

1. I am starting with RESEARCH. The best information I could get was from people who already screen print. I was WRONG.

2. I know how much shirts sell for and I said that I just want to break even. Not become a MILLIONAIRE.

3. Yes, I am a designer. There are so many clothing lines out there. Thats not my focus as a designer. I do not want to start another line. I do have people that want my shirts. I think it may be enough to break even. I'm not sure yet. I just want to make sure. Not have it be my profession.

4. I know for a fact that it will not take me $183,00 to get a few screens made and print them. I told you, I'm not going to do high number runs.

So far from this forum no one has answered any of my questions. All I have heard is "Don't do it." I asked why and all I continue to hear is "You can't do it. Design. Thats all you can do, design."

Is your job to discourage people and scare them away from the industry? That way you can have no competition and make your $183,000 pay off? That is what it feels like.
Art2Shirt
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Art2Shirt »

Your question - "What do you guys think? Is that do able? "

The answer is - it is not very doable, very few have been succesful at being able to do it all.
I reread your post I think that was the question and I think it was answered
just not the answer you wanted
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

Get ahold of awt or melray online and buy a used manual press. Next buy some screens with varying mesh, now buy a full array of plastisol, conveyor dryer, flash cure, exposure unit, washout tank, squeegees, pressure washer,emuslion, scoop coater and an assload of rags. You'll need an output device for films for your designs as well. Good luck, see you on the soup line.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

blackflame wrote:My goal is to break even really.
Not a good way of thinking..imo
blackflame wrote:I'm a graphic designer and I would like to keep it that way.
ummm... you said it
blackflame wrote:printing would be fun and I could print a lot of my own shirts.
yes printing is fun at first but eventually it becomes a job.
blackflame wrote:After I print 10 of my shirts with maybe a few other jobs in between I think I would be saving money as opposed to someone else doing it.
If you are doing all the work you are not actually saving money. You have to take your pay into consideration. if you are rich and have lots of time on your hands, I guess you dont need to pay yourself.
blackflame wrote:What do you guys think? Is that do able?
You know what I think and anything is do-able if you take your time.
blackflame wrote:A lot of information I am finding is very...well I know its not the right way lol. Lets just keep it at that.
If you know its not the right way then why are you asking for help?
blackflame wrote: I need a start up asset list and a few of your opinions.
#1 MONEY
#2 TIME
#3 SUPPLIERS (Nazdar,Melray,Anatol,Etc.)
#4 COMPUTER w/ Art software (Adobe,Corel,Etc.)
#5 Lots of Luck

In my opinion you should attend a trade show like ISS to talk to all the vendors in one place.

I was by no means trying to discourage you.... I was simple telling you how I started with about $250 and in 4 years had over $180 grand to start my actual store.
I dont have a payoff.... But I did have a whole lot of wasted time and f**k ups along the way.

I think you can do it... I am living proof that it can be done. My only thought was arm you with all the info before you decide to waste 2-3 years of your time.
maybe you should reconsider you business plan.
The Guru
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by The Guru »

Dude if you want to know more info email jason@guruink.com i will let you know some rough cost...check out my bros company http://www.enclothe.com they are doing exactly what you want to be doing. its a BITCH and i promise you will regret it...BUT if you are determined email me and ill help you figure out everything-- jason@guruink.com
blackflame
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by blackflame »

I said I would like to stay a graphic designer, yes. You are a screen printer, right? Does that mean thats all you do? I don't know about you but I hang out with friends, take pictures, and build cars...does that not make me a graphic designer? Does that mean since I'm a graphic designer I can't do any of those things? No. Outside of my work I would screen print. There is nothing wrong with breaking even if I don't want it to be my business. It's just saying, "Hey! I want to do this but I don't want to lose my money." Nothing wrong with that.

Yes, at first your answers to my question were accurate. But when I asked why it wasn't do able I received the same answer over and over.

Thank you The Guru. I think I will be in touch with you. Thank you for telling me your opinion but willing to answer any other questions. Thats what I was looking for.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

blackflame... if you want to be a hobbiest good for you.
Most of us do this for a LIVING and we MAKE MONEY

And honestly.... other then playing Xbox with my buddies late at night, Everything I do revolves around screen printing and graphic design. 18hrs a day
Rove
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Rove »

Ok I have read what has been said by the pros. Nobody can do screen printing except screen printers. Yah Yah yah

Except for the past 8 years I have been doing after watching videos on Youtube and reading books. I have found that getting my hands in the ink is not alot of fun but when times are slow it good brain numbing work. What ever you do don't buy new. There are plenty of screen printers willling to sell old equipment for cheap. I started by calling screen printers in my local area to see if they were interested in selling old equipment. I told them I wanted to make some original designs and sell them at swap meets.

Screens are about 20 bucks to buy new. It cost me 20 bucks to have screens made until I found out how easy it was to do myself.

When I get in over my head I simply sub the work to people who "know what they are doing". I found that all of the local screen printers are on a two week turn around time. Being a start up (8 year start up) word of mouth business I can turn them with in a couple days.

Don't let these people tell you can't or should do it. Follow your heart. Yesterday i did one job that made me 700 dollars. If i brokered the work to one of "the Pros" I would have mak about 200. For the liability and frustration I made an extra $500. email me if you want some ideas.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

This is getting ridiculous so I am locking the topic.

If you interested in starting a screen printing business.... read this carefully.