90T mesh + Speedball Permanent Acrylic Ink on paper?

To help you get started...
Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

ewiktor
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

90T mesh + Speedball Permanent Acrylic Ink on paper?

Post by ewiktor »

Hi, this is Vic from Glasgow, UK.

What I have is 12" x 16" 90T(230?) screen.
A jug of Speedbal Permanent Acrylic Ink.
A vinyl stencil put sticked to the screen that is about 4" x 3" big.

I print on usual xero a4 paper.
A non professional sqeegee - rubber of ca 7/8 in with round edge.

Is such a set proper fo making a4 one color posters of should i get some more professional set instead of fighting with what i got?

I particularly am afraid of the stencil, is not the viny to thick for using it as a stencil?

I would be grateful for eany advice from experts and sending greetings form Scotland

Vic
broham23
Intern
Intern

Re: 90T mesh + Speedball Permanent Acrylic Ink on paper?

Post by broham23 »

As I sit in my velvet chair in front of my fireplace, beer glass in hand, I contemplate your post.

Your ink substitute, acrylic paint, will behave much like ink untill it begins to air dry. Most screen inks don't air dry, letting them be worked for long periods of time until they are cured with exposure to intense heat. So after you begin printing you must work fast!

Printing on paper like that should be fine. Just get a can of spray adhesive and spray a little bit onto your table where you're going to put the paper to be printed. That'll keep it from getting stuck to the bottom of the screen after you make your first print.

Your squeegie, however, is not fine. The rounded edge I belive you described is no good and will just make a mess. You'd be better off using a piece of wood just as long as it's got a smooth, clean, straight edge. Or find a piece of stiff rubber that doesn't have a rounded edge. Could you slice a little bit off the edge of the squeegie you have to provide you with this sharpness? This is important. A round edge will just smush the ink rather than scrape it along, making a mockery of your stencil. But then again, I have no idea how rounded your edge is. Is it the radius of say, pencil lead? Because that would probably work. More like the radius of a pen or pencil? Because that most likely wouldn't work so well..

Also, it's a bad sign that you fear your stencil. How thick is this stencil? If it's thicker than a piece of heavy paper or card-stock it's probably no good. I'd make a new one out of something thinner. But then again I have no idea how thick yours is.

Without investing on some supplies, this should work. But if you're planning on doing more printing more often, it'd be wise to get actual ink and a real squeegie.

Ultimately, I do belive you could get some good prints with what you've got. It's a total bare-bones effort, but the results could be pure art. Good luck and greetings from New Jersey!