Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

sadlerb
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

First shop set-up/ Layout

Post by sadlerb »

I am new to this site, but have been printing for a little over a year in the upstate New York area running the whole business out of my attic, home office and garage. Business is going really well and we print primarily on our own line of high quality garments which my partner and I import from Peru (his home country) and we have found a nice niche with customers who are concerned with having high quality garments.

While my current setup and equipment is getting jobs done, having this all setup in my home has meant that I have a lot of backorders and I am not able to get jobs done efficiently. Just recently I signed a lease on a 1,200 sq. foot store front setup and I was wondering whether anyone could give me some advice on what new equipment (and brands) I should look to be investing in, and possibly if anyone could recommend a good place to look for medium/small shop floorplans etc.

Most importantly I am looking to invest in a new press (probably 6 color 4 station) to supplement the 4 color 1 station press I have currently, as well as a conveyer dryer which I do not have at all. I was thinking about buying a riley hopkin's press because the joystick registration looked very simple and user friendly. I have many more questions regarding the big step my business is going to be taking in the next month or so, but for now input on new equipment and floor plan suggestions would be very helpful.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Re: First shop set-up/ Layout

Post by ROADSIDE »

Shop layout really depends on the shop layout.... if that makes any sense.

You will need a small retail type counter for a computer with quoting software and such.... We work out of a pole barn structure and customers can actually see our production area from our walk up counter. We also have a private office for clients that require special attention.

If you have the room and the money I would suggestion getting an AUTO since you are running into production time problems.
we can push about 100 shirts per hour with 1 man running the auto. With 3-4 people running a job we can get up to 500 an hour.

Good luck
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.