Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

thevisionseeker
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Sort of Newbie needing advice...

Post by thevisionseeker »

I took screen printing in high school (year ago), I am a designer by trade and have always loved screen printing.
You can look at my work here: http://www.theseeker.carbonmade.com
I have books and done research but I know that all doesnt matter until you get your hands dirty.
My life goal is to start a small/indie/ecofriendly screen printing business. I dont plan on just doing t-shirts though.
I am also a musician and build custom pedals and design posters.
I dont need a 6color 6station right now a 1 station 4 color would be fine for now.
I do plan on doing some detailed work (guitar pedals the most)

Anyone have any suggestions on how to start?
I know I should get aluminum frames since I do plan on keeping some in storage.
What mesh count should I get for detailed stuff? 300 count?

I found this on craigslist: http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bfs/836395268.html
I'm supposed to pick it up next week from the guy. Will this work?
d fleming

Re: Sort of Newbie needing advice...

Post by d fleming »

That exposure unit should do for small frames. For t-shirts 120 mesh is a good start for general work, a little finer for detail or halftones. I don't know that that exp. unit will shoot halftones. Depends on the light source. For flatstock 230 is a good start using the proper inks. Nazdar.com is an excellent source for inks and supplies, they have a downloadable substrate/ink compatibility chart that we use daily.
thevisionseeker
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

ya I know for t-shirts they need to be less mesh due to shirts soaking up ink more then normal stock. For now I'm looking more at printing on pedals which are usually just metal and would need more detail so a higher mesh count would be needed I would think.
What exposure unit would you recommend? I'm not too familar with halftones in the screen printing world so in what way would an exposure unit not do halftones?

I'm going to go look at it next week so what would you say I should look for? (light source, etc...)

Thank you
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

Mesh count has nothing to do with ink being soaked up by shirt. Has to do with the ink being able to pentrate the fabric of the screen itself and put a good deposit down or to be able to hold detail. On metal you would likely use a 230 and series 59000 from nazdar. You will need thinning varnish for that series as well. Ask the people at Nazdar about your specific application to be sure. As far zas light source, if you do indeed need to print halftone or extremely fine detail, you need something other than a flourescent light source. Metal halide comes to mind. For most everyday work in line form a floursecent source is fine. The difference is the amount of time the screen spends under the light being more condusive to undercutting your art the longer the exposure takes.
thevisionseeker
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

O yes, that's actually what I meant. Sorry. well for what I'm doing now I dont think I need anything TOO crazy but what youre saying is if I want to get really detailed a flourescent light source wont be as good as metal halide light source. Will there be a major difference in quality? I take it there is... Better halftones, better detail to lpi? But I can get halftones from a flourescent light source right or not? Would I have to leave the screen under the light longer to get better detail?
Sorry I know so many questions...
thevisionseeker
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

You mentioned that the size of that exposure unit is good for smaller frames what did you mean? If I have a 23" X 27" of usable area can I not use a 20" x 23" frame? I pretty just plan on doing t-shirts, posters (12" x 18" mostly), and pedals which are not big.
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

By smaller frames I mean t-shirt frames, some of mine are quite a bit larger for my clamshells to print 18x24 & 24x36 on coro and other flatstock. I do simple t-shirt work, by which I mean no halftones, not that I can't, I just make my money doing other things. I maybe print 10,000 shirts a year, and I have a college student that actually runs most of the screenprinting these days. I just hand him art and stock and turn him loose at that end of the shop. Took a while to get him to that level but he is finally there and it is starting to pay off. All else I send out to a close friend with a large automated textile press as far as t's go. You will not successfully shoot a halftone with flourescent light source. You'd have better luck in the sunshine. Shooting longer does not give more detail, it overexposes screen. The right time is just that.