Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

smokingdrum
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Newbie question about getting better quality print on paper

Post by smokingdrum »

Hello all,

I would really appreciate any advice with the following. I am a complete newbie - printed my first screen print onto paper today. (I did try it last night but half of the image was missing, I think because I applied so much screen block it went round the back of the drawing fluid. One thing they don't say in this kit is how thinly or thickly to apply things.)

So, anyway, for my first screen print I decided to have a go at an old illustration I did. I have a Daler Rowney acrylic screen printing kit - so probably not amazing quality!

I painted on the drawing fluid carefully, by hand, and this time applied the screen block as thinly as I could. It worked much better and did not go over or behind the drawing fluid. So far, so good. I washed off the drawing fluid and the result was a nice clean negative image ready to print with.

Not having any experience I mixed the acrylic colour with the medium, spread it across the top area of the screen and dragged it down with the squeegee pressing fairly hard.

The result was pretty good, with all areas of the picture showing up, but the "ink" seemed very thick and as a result, areas which should have been thin on the picture spread a little.I am using these Daler Rowney "inks" which are really their "System 3" acrylic paints.

I am guessing one of two things has happened:

1. The screen block went through the screen slightly, so when I print the screen must have been everso slightly raised off the paper. I wonder if this meant the colour could spread slightly. I found it very hard to apply a thin layer of screen block which did not go through the screen at all.

2. Alternatively, maybe the ink was not the right consistency - it seemed thick on the paper and also even leaving a bubbly effect behind in places.

I'd like to improve the process, so I can print crisper images where the colour doesn't seem thick. Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome - I intend now to purchase some more screens and if I need to get better ink / block / whatever then I will do so.

Many thanks!

John
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Newbie question about getting better quality print on paper

Post by ROADSIDE »

I would say this... learn with a low mesh count (61 or lower) so you can actually see the holes.
The image will look rougher but once you get it down you move up in mesh count.
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.