Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

mr_monster
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

poster inks?

Post by mr_monster »

Hi, I am trying to figure out what type of ink I should purchase. I have some basic experience with screen printing. I tend to screen 15 x 20 inch posters on my 175 mesh screen , sometimes relativly small book covers and other graphic design related things and art stuff, so it's all on paper (usually canson montval). I can use the labs at school to burn but they kick you out after a certain time and I would like to print more in my spare time.

I know there are several types of ink and I'm really just clueless as to what I should buy; should i go water based? oil?.. what brands are a good deal? I'm not the richest person around.
Also would be curious to know more about metallic Inks. Do they all require a larger screen mesh? And can adding extender base help with this?
Sorry if these are dumb questions.. but eh.. thats why I'm here.
taglessthreads.com
Intern
Intern

Re: poster inks?

Post by taglessthreads.com »

mr_monster wrote:Hi, I am trying to figure out what type of ink I should purchase. I have some basic experience with screen printing. I tend to screen 15 x 20 inch posters on my 175 mesh screen , sometimes relativly small book covers and other graphic design related things and art stuff, so it's all on paper (usually canson montval). I can use the labs at school to burn but they kick you out after a certain time and I would like to print more in my spare time.

I know there are several types of ink and I'm really just clueless as to what I should buy; should i go water based? oil?.. what brands are a good deal? I'm not the richest person around.
Also would be curious to know more about metallic Inks. Do they all require a larger screen mesh? And can adding extender base help with this?
Sorry if these are dumb questions.. but eh.. thats why I'm here.
I suggest using water based ink. Plastisol (Oil Based) I think would be to thick and not soak into paper or book cover etc. Metallic inks are always plastisol (oil based) and to get a good coat you would usually use a low mesh screen such as a 110 or 160.
Screen Printing - Tagless Threads
squeegeethree
Intern
Intern

Re: poster inks?

Post by squeegeethree »

taglessthreads.com wrote: I suggest using water based ink. Plastisol (Oil Based) I think would be to thick and not soak into paper or book cover etc. Metallic inks are always plastisol (oil based) and to get a good coat you would usually use a low mesh screen such as a 110 or 160.
Just to clarify, plastisol and oil based inks are not the same thing.