Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

Coco
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Washing chemicals away

Post by Coco »

Hi everyone totally new to screenprinting and wanted to ask a question before I got started. Basically when you wash out the screens out after the UV emulsion has had the image burned into it - is it ok to wash out the screens in the bath for example. Was thinking that surely the chemicals would be harmful to rinse down a regular sink/bath. I understand professional washouts are available - if you could answer this question too - the water that is used in those where is that drained to?

Thanks so much, a great forum.

Coco
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Washing chemicals away

Post by ROADSIDE »

depends....

If you wash in the bath the chemicals are going into your sewer or septic system.
In that case you should make sure that all the chemicals you are using are drain safe and biodegradable .

Since we have no sewer at our shop and are not allowed to put chemicals into our septic system, we have a chemical storage tank that we drain into. It gets pumped out ever 6 months or so.

Good Luck
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
Coco
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Coco »

Thanks for the reply, really not sure what I am going to do. We live in the countryside so have our own septic tank, am very worried about damaging the environment though. Am wondering how regular people who simply screenprint at home cope with the chemicals. Am pretty sure the UV emulsion is not biodegradable.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

honestly... most people dont care where it goes as long as they get paid
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.