Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

mud
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Textile Screening with a vinyl stencil

Post by mud »

So I decided I'm not at all happy with what other stores have to offer in the way of shirt designs and I wanted to design a couple of my own and screen print them from my house. I have a background in sign design, with a brief crash course in sign screen printing. So I have alot of vinyl at my disposal. My initial thought is I can cut out a vinyl stencil, apply it to the screen and squigee away...seems easy enough but I def. don't think it will be. The worries I have is if I use a water base ink, if it will loosen up the adhesive of the vinyl...and also with the inks, do I need to mix a hardner or anything with the ink, or is it okay to just use the ink itself with no additives. Has anyone ever tried this at all? and if so what precautions should I take? any help will be greatly appreciated!
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Textile Screening with a vinyl stencil

Post by ROADSIDE »

well you can use vinyl as a stencil you should still burn the screen (use photosensitive emulsion)
Prolly not going to work out the way you are planning.
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
mud
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by mud »

im just curious if anyones tried it....also since I do have access to a vinyl plotter i wonder if heat transfer vinyl is the way to go.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

Nah dude... you are just going to waste your time.
If that idea would have worked... people would be doing it all the time.
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
mud
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by mud »

I did a little bit of digging around on different forums and found this on T-Shirt forums and so I followed the link and checked it out on youtube and just followed the guys instructions and it worked fine for me, no chemicals and very little mess to clean up... it works fine for small runs...anyway, here's the link if anyones interested! Thanks!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xXmmXkvh4pI
Munkie
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Munkie »

I have worked with vinyl for printing before. It is best to use photo emulsions whenever possible agreed. I usually only use vinyl to back up an image for strength. If you have to use vinyl for your stencil your best results will come from the metal style ones. They seem to hold up against the squegee a little better. Though you may find you only get a couple of prints at best in some cases. Definatly do not attempt when humid. Worse than beating a dead horse. Chemicals will absorb in the fabric fight the adhesive like you wouldn't believe at times.
Good luck