Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

Marc
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Trying to research the materials/method— recommendations

Post by Marc »

Hi

I'm a graphic designer aiming to set up a small home based screen printing studio in a spare room. I've been trying to find a decent site or book to help me understand the materials/equipment/ method required to produce prints, but I'm getting no where.

Its the frame / master frame / mesh thing that I just can't understand. I need to get over to a local screen printers to understand the process, but a website would be good to read up first.

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would really help. I suppose the other big thing I'm not sure about is: When you expose the mesh and create your stencil, what happens when you want to do another print? Do you have to have your frame recovered with a new mesh?

I'm obviously completely clueless about this. However I am really interested in the subject and want to go ahead and learn the craft. If anyone could suggest a good website or book I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,

Marc
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

alright....
First off I think you should start off by working with a current shop as a designer.
If you already have a job... do some freelance stuff for a local screen printer.
You will learn the basics.
I started my career as a graphic artist and then got into doing art for screen printers... which led me to open my own screen printing shop.
You can find HUNDREDS of suppliers that will sell you what you need but no one is going to tell you how it really is!
Screen printing is great if you are willing to deal with DEADLINES, HARSH CHEMICALS, INSANE CUSTOMERS, DEADLINES!!!, CLEANING SCREENS, FOLDING SHIRTS... Did I mentions DEADLINES.

If you are just trying to print some shirts for your own use.... a spare room might do the trick. If you are planning to go commercial... MORE ROOM!!

Nazdar.com (screen printing supplies)

Good Luck
Post your questions as you think of them... also search the forum for answers
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
yaleteamsandtees
Administrator
Administrator

Post by yaleteamsandtees »

Bring it on!
I'll help as much as I can as well.

One book is "How to Print T-shirts for Fun and Profit"
by Scott Fresener.

Did Roadie mention the insane customers???
cromaclothingco
Intern
Intern

Post by cromaclothingco »

already one thing I have noticed that is frustrating is customers wanting one item or something custom, screen printing is much more profitable in numbers!

oh and btw that book is awesome, really has a lot of useful tips and information. like placing a nail on each side of the squeegee to prevent it from falling and getting smothered in paint...
yaleteamsandtees
Administrator
Administrator

Post by yaleteamsandtees »

Ink NOT paint. :wink:

Yeah, screen printing is not a one off or short run friendly process.