Aligning T-Shirts - We must be missing something.

Post your questions, suggestions, ideas and advice to issues you have run into in your screen printing shop.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Joemarzen
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Aligning T-Shirts - We must be missing something.

Post by Joemarzen »

I've been running a small shop with with a manual press for the past 8 months or so. We started from scratch and everything has gone pretty well. But we do have one problem that has become a bigger and bigger issue as we've grown. Aligning t-shirts on the press consistently. We do the best we can using markings on the pallet, measuring tape, and just generally eyeballing. But it's so inexact, and it's the main thing limiting our speed.

I feel like there has to be a better way that I don't know about. Like there's some simple tool out there that I just haven't stumbled upon.

We experimented with ironing a crease down the center of the shirts but it's difficult to even do that with any speed and accuracy.

Thanks for the help,

Joe
yaleteamsandtees
Administrator
Administrator

Post by yaleteamsandtees »

A good thread from a while back should help

Loading Shirts
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

You have to remember that all the shirts are going to be cut a little different.
Each size is going to load on the pallet a little different.
I find that on my pallets (16" wide) Large and Medium are the best fit and load really quickly.
2X, 3X, 4X and up all take some time to load (another reason to charge more for sizes over XL)

That tutorial is good... but you still have to load like 10,000+ shirts before you will feel comfortable with your loading.
I have printed over 70,000 shirts myself and I must say I am never 100% happy with my loading.
(I like being in the office)

Like anything in life... PRACTICE makes PERFECT
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
totwdave
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by totwdave »

Another thing that can help is to try and always put registration marks the same distance from the image- that can help you to set your art up on the screens in the same position.

I have a piece of white melamine with a grid I've drawn that I align my positives to so I can always set my screens up on the press the same way and for most jobs I can always load the shirts the exact same way.....

I couldn't tell you how many shirts I've loaded/printed over the years and sometimes there are still jobs I look at and think 'WTF?' But as long as the customer is happy......