How to blend only 2 colours to make 4 or 5?

Post your questions, suggestions, ideas and advice to issues you have run into in your screen printing shop.

Moderator: Moderator Team

flood and stroke
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

How to blend only 2 colours to make 4 or 5?

Post by flood and stroke »

Hey there!
I have been printing at a basic level for about 2 years and I am just starting to get to grips with how to create halftones when using photo shop CS2. Although I am confident with the actual process of printing and creating work, I have not yet mastered the skills I need to properly fine tune my work unaided.

I have a design that I have previously screen printed in 5 flat block colours using water based inks. I would like to create a second edition of the print however this time I would like to try and blend 2 colours together to create my 5 colours by the allowing the placement and angle of my halftones to create different shades.

I have of a piece of work here by a graphic designer called Christopher Wilson which aptly shows the desired effect I am trying to recreate. http://www.oberphones.com/design/maindesign.htm If you notice, Wilson has used a blend of a blue and an orange to create a brown and black. Does anybody have any tips on how to create such an effect or any tutorials that may be helpful?

Thank you so much! :D

Hannah