Runny ink? What am I doing wrong?

Post your questions, suggestions, ideas and advice to issues you have run into in your screen printing shop.

Moderator: Moderator Team

babaloo
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Runny ink? What am I doing wrong?

Post by babaloo »

Sighh. I have recently decided to start making my own T-shirts just because I love having T-shirts...and yeah.

So since I have been laid-off from my job, I'm a little low on money and started with rather ghetto supplies. I have a roll of Mask-Ease (you cut a stencil out, paint over it), and a embroidery hoop with a cut up curtain for a screen. Yeah...

So when I made a test print today, I noticed that the print came out...ridiculous. Like it seemed to just leak all over.

Now, the paint that i bought turned out to be really runny, do you think this is the problem? Or is it my homemade screen? Any suggestions? I really hope I didn't spend all this money for nothing.

ps: I realize the design is probably copyrighted and I am breaking laws. :lol: whoops. I don't intend to sell them. It's a Keith Haring is you all were interested. :)
xIIscrapsIIx
Intern
Intern

Re: Runny ink? What am I doing wrong?

Post by xIIscrapsIIx »

My guess would be your screen.
-xIIscrapsIIx-
anthemscreenprinting
Intern
Intern

Re: Runny ink? What am I doing wrong?

Post by anthemscreenprinting »

Bleeding usually occurs when you lay down too much ink, and laying down too much ink usually occurs when using a low mesh screen. So, it's probably the screen causing the bleedy image. I'd suggest forking out the money (only about $25) to get a decent screen printing screen. Would suggest somewhere in the 160 mesh range to start. Also, how thick is the stencil you're using? This also might be the cause of the bleeding because if the mesh (curtain) is too far away from the shirt being printed, then there will be too much ink being pushed through causing a big bleedy mess.
Anthem Screen Printing
  • Screen Printing Supplies
  • Screen Burning Services