Newbie needs help- shirt fibers seem to be sticking up

Post your questions, suggestions, ideas and advice to issues you have run into in your screen printing shop.

Moderator: Moderator Team

robiejr45
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Newbie needs help- shirt fibers seem to be sticking up

Post by robiejr45 »

this newbie need help with printing white on red sport tech garments. I have an Antek 6 color press, flash drier, tunnel drier and all the stuff ( we just bought a closed down shop due to family death). When I print the garment that has a large (8inch round 70% coverage inside circle) I am getting small fibers that seem to be pulling up when printing and sitting on top of the finished product. I have looked at other shirts and they seem to have at least some sort of shirt fiber on top as well. Am I being too picky or is there an additive to keep this from sticking and picking???
d fleming

Re: Newbie needs help- shirt fibers seem to be sticking up

Post by d fleming »

Do you have enough offset for the screen to release immediately behind the squeegee when printing?
robiejr45
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by robiejr45 »

yes it seems to be correct. I measured an 1/8 of an inch with the garment on the platen. I was thinking of trying a higher line screen like a 230 and double hitting it before I try any additives. Can you re-tension a screen that has been exposed already?? I am using all Newton roller frames and mesh. This stuff has not been used in some time and I think the tension on this screen could be part of the problem. Any ideas or am I on the right track?? This is my first job on with this equipment and have no training other than what I have read and watched on youtube etc. (many hours of it)
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

Tension could be the problem. You should not retension after screen is exposed, you will most likely distort the print. You should see the screen releasing from the shirt directly behind the squeegee pass. Most white inks require some thinning as well. I have yet to get a bucket of white that didn't need some soft hand clear added to get to the smooth peanut butter consistency that works for me. The more you work the ink with a spatula before putting it in the screen, the easier your print stroke will be right off the bat. A 230 mesh should be used for halftone work and sometimes to get a nice light underbase. Mostly for more detailed work. 125 or so should be fine for most basic textile printing.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

Also are you printing on NEW, never washed shirts?

Tension and Pressure are more then likely the problem.
I like 125 mesh for printing my whites but everyone does it different.
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.