burning/rinsing issue.please help

Post your questions, suggestions, ideas and advice to issues you have run into in your screen printing shop.

Moderator: Moderator Team

grimsmilexclothing
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

burning/rinsing issue.please help

Post by grimsmilexclothing »

im new to screen printing but thought i was well prepared after 1,000,000 youtube tutorials but im finding TONS of touble in the screen making process. im having signs of over and under expulsion and im confused.not sure it is how im rinsing after burning or the actual exposure.
-when i apply emulsion i dont yet have a scoop coater so i basically apply the emulsion as you would with the ink.i squeegee on one side and then with the emulsion that seeped through,the other and try to get a even coverage.
-i expose under a 250 w flood for about 3 minutes.
what i thought my problem was before was underexposure but when i rinse screen entirely the image is still there in the screen and burn in even when all the emulsion is washed away and removed.
also,when i rinse the screen,i use a spray bottle and it runs but im not sure how to rinse. what i do is let it run then attempt to pat dry and scratch off emulsion on the image but eventually it all runs and everything comes off. can someone please help me out?=[
wormzzz
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: burning/rinsing issue.please help

Post by wormzzz »

-I do the same thing with the emulsion, are the coats really thick or thin? that might be your problem
-Try using a black light for 10-15 minutes
-For getting the emulsion off I would recommend a shower, your shower will turn a what ever color your emulsion is and you're going to get wet but the pressure works really well and the color comes out
-After you spray rub the screen with your fingers, but not too hard or everything will come out
Good luck!
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

grimsmilexclothing wrote:im new to screen printing but thought i was well prepared after 1,000,000 youtube tutorials but im finding TONS of touble in the screen making process. im having signs of over and under expulsion and im confused.not sure it is how im rinsing after burning or the actual exposure.

Search Step wedge test

-when i apply emulsion i dont yet have a scoop coater

Get one or you're not ready to be using emulsion

so i basically apply the emulsion as you would with the ink.i squeegee on one side and then with the emulsion that seeped through,the other and try to get a even coverage.
-i expose under a 250 w flood for about 3 minutes.

Get the proper light, unfiltered blacklight uv flourescents are a cheap start

what i thought my problem was before was underexposure but when i rinse screen entirely the image is still there in the screen and burn in even when all the emulsion is washed away and removed.

step wedge test

also,when i rinse the screen,i use a spray bottle and it runs but im not sure how to rinse.

water hose

what i do is let it run then attempt to pat dry and scratch off emulsion on the image but eventually it all runs and everything comes off. can someone please help me out?=[
keep your hands off of wet emulsion
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

wormzzz wrote:-I do the same thing with the emulsion, are the coats really thick or thin? that might be your problem

get a scoop coater, they're not expensive

-Try using a black light for 10-15 minutes

unfiltered

-For getting the emulsion off I would recommend a shower, your shower will turn a what ever color your emulsion is and you're going to get wet but the pressure works really well and the color comes out

stop it, buy or build a proper washout tank

-After you spray rub the screen with your fingers, but not too hard or everything will come out
Good luck!
keep your hands off wet emulsion
nativesonjls
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by nativesonjls »

Check out the post I just did, for some body with a similar problem, I must admit his wasn't as bad but I think its your cure time, better light, longer time and work back to the correct time, every one is right a wedge test is best or you will be reclaiming screens, and you will still have to reclaim a few with a wedge test depending on the type of graphics you are trying to do. use a old tub to wash out and then let the water evaporate then dump dried waste properly, I don't have a wash out station, on fixed income until I'm called back and struggling just to get the basics for printing to supplement what I am getting, can't get it all at once......you will get it with some help. Check the post and increase your time, do a wedge test if you can.
http://screenprintingforum.com/viewtopi ... =11&t=2087