using acetate

Post your questions, suggestions, ideas and advice to issues you have run into in your screen printing shop.

Moderator: Moderator Team

aSartor
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

using acetate

Post by aSartor »

I am using acetate to burn the images onto my screens. The problem I'm having is that I am using Sharpie markers and they tend to smear a lot, leaving an unconsistent black. Is there anything else I can use to make it easier?
d fleming

Re: using acetate

Post by d fleming »

Are you hand drawing your design on acetate? If so get some rapidograph pens.
aSartor
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by aSartor »

yea i am...do those pens not smear?
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

They are the tool for the job. They can smear when fresh like any ink but once set you are good to go. They come in different sizes for line thicknes so a set of them in varying sizes is very useful.
nativesonjls
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by nativesonjls »

yep they will smear when wet, we use them for architectural drawings on a mylar sheets (semi transparent material similar to plastic) and the refills offer a dye based option, the ink is wet so it flows somewhat for a smooth even layer with good opacity, we used the mylar for standard borders or details that were common or used a lot so we could tape them to hand-drawn sheets to send through the print machine, this way you did not have to redraw the same information on every sheet of a blue print set, saved a but load of time. This was in the days before cad took the trade by storm, now every thing is automated.
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Post by tompaine »

You can get some touch-up pens from Kimo, they are designed for high uv density