Help with home screen printing.

Post your questions, suggestions, ideas and advice to issues you have run into in your screen printing shop.

Moderator: Moderator Team

deardementia
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Help with home screen printing.

Post by deardementia »

I have screen printed several times before but, I always used the materials provided for me at my school. This summer I happily bought my own materials hoping to be able to start working on my own projects from home.
Lately, I have not been able to get any of my screens right!
I cannot tell if I am underexposing or overexposing so I need your help.

I have tried using a 16x24 screen and 8x11 screen. I'm not sure what the screen quality is but, it seems fine and like that isn't the problem. I am using ulano tz diazo textile emulsion. I did not forget to mix the sensitizer...
I am exposing the screens with a Photoflood 250w bulb with an aluminum bulb clamp shined directly on the screen about one yard from the screen.

Testing number #1... on the 16x24 screen, i exposed for about 20-25 minutes. I found it extremely difficult to wash out. eventually when it started coming off, it began chunking off and some of the screens looked like they were going to turn out but the edges were starting to was away. i was using cold to luke warm water by the way. i always use this.

It was beyond repair, i cleaned the screen and started over.

Testing number #2...on the 16x24 screen, i coated it and exposed it for about 10 minutes. the screen still took FOREVER to wash out. ive never had to wash out screens this long. eventually, it started to work as it should.... most of the design turned out but one part still got too soft and washed off where it wasn't supposed to.

an important part of the design was damaged so i just tried the experiment again

Testing #3... on the 8x12 screen. exposed for 10 minutes. immediately started to wash it, and the screen would not wash out. instead, it looked as if the whole screen emulsion was evenly fading and turning grey. the screen never washed out the entire way and the emulsion left was very weak and opaque... unusable again.

I really think I am over exposing since it is so hard for the screen to release.
please help! i am trying to make a valentines day present for someone special next week and this screen has to work!
thank you <3333
geneh
Intern
Intern

Re: Help with home screen printing.

Post by geneh »

Are you having a hard time removing the emulsion when reclaiming the screen? What mesh are you using? How are you coating your screens? If you are having a hard time reclaiming then chances are you are over exposing your emulsion. But to thick of EOM (emulsion over mesh )this should be about 10% of mesh thickness can cause some of the same problems you are having. If you search this forum there is information on how to determine exposure times. Good Luck!!
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Re: Help with home screen printing.

Post by tompaine »

Could be your positives burning through, stick a coin on the screen, that should block all light & read this http://www.t-shirtforums.com/t-shirt-ar ... 06506.html