Printing a tapered cylinder

Post your questions, suggestions, ideas and advice to issues you have run into in your screen printing shop.

Moderator: Moderator Team

landshark
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Printing a tapered cylinder

Post by landshark »

My company prints a variety of cylindrical glass, plastic and metal containers. I have my first tapered bottle to print, but can't seem to find any concrete information for manipulating the artwork to accommodate for the taper. Does anyone have any information they can share with me?
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Re: Printing a tapered cylinder

Post by tompaine »

What effect are you after?
Do you need to alter the dimensions of your print or do you just need a different shaped text/image box?
landshark
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by landshark »

I'm not sure what you are referring to. I am screen printing on a tapered glass bottle. The bottle rotates, the screen moves from side to side and the squeegee is stationary. The circumference of the bottle is 3/4 small on the bottom than the top. Therefore the distance the squeegee contacts the bottle is shorter at the bottom.
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Post by tompaine »

You need a curved parallelogram!
Wrap a piece of paper around your bottle, sketch out the design then look at the result.
landshark
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by landshark »

Would that be the same as laying out the parallelogram on my screen (9" the smaller circumference and 9.75 the larger) then warping the design to fit inside?
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Post by tompaine »

Probably :D