Expose using an OHP, or large transparency stencil?

Post your questions, suggestions, ideas and advice to issues you have run into in your screen printing shop.

Moderator: Moderator Team

karlj400
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Expose using an OHP, or large transparency stencil?

Post by karlj400 »

?Hey,
I'm fairly new to screen-printing; I've done a few small-scale prints, from priming, burning, through to the actual printing.
I'm looking to create a 40x40" stencil, a portrait consisting of half tones. However, I'm unsure of how to burn the image, at this size.
One option would be to simply have the image printed out on to a large transparency, or acetate sheet (or several smaller sections) lay it on the screen, and expose it.
However, I wonder if, using an overhead projector, to shine the image on to the screen. Could this work?
In fact, any advice on how to burn an image onto a stencil this size would be greatly apprectiated, since I've no experience working at such a scale.
Thanks in advance!
Karl
d fleming

Re: Expose using an OHP, or large transparency stencil?

Post by d fleming »

Large format vacuum frame, single point light source and a proper film positive.
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Re: Expose using an OHP, or large transparency stencil?

Post by tompaine »

LOL
Projection systems are used for exposing but they use uv light, your OHP won't have much in the uv, and they are notoriously prone to registration problems if not set up correctly due to edge effects.
To quote Mr Fleming 'Large format vacuum frame, single point light source and a proper film positive.'
Save a penny, spend a pound.