Cleaning Screens, Job Clean up

Post your questions, suggestions, ideas and advice to issues you have run into in your screen printing shop.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TMP_D
Intern
Intern

Cleaning Screens, Job Clean up

Post by TMP_D »

I’m curious how others handle the cleanup process of their job screens. I have a friend that screen prints and likes to run the job, then get the bulk ink out of the screen and pretty much that’s it, he puts his screens up on the shelf with ink still on the screens, a very minimal cleanup process.

I however like to get the bulk ink out and then completely clean the ink out of the screen, I like to put the screen away clean and with no ink on it

The reason I’m curious is because I mainly use plastisol ink and it’s not like if I put the screens away with ink on them they are going to dry up or anything, so by me being a neat freak and liking everything clean and all, am I actually just costing myself more money in the end?

On a typical job clean up I might go through a half can of screen opener, and a half a roll of paper towel, with some repeat jobs I’m just going to put that same ink back in the screen when they re-order.

Who thinks it’s better to put screens away with ink still in them?
yaleteamsandtees
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cleaning Screens, Job Clean up

Post by yaleteamsandtees »

We use recirculating tank kinda like a automotive parts washer.

It's filled with a screen cleaner from Crystal Clean.

Wipe down, rinse, let air dry and back on the rack.

No rags, no problem.
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

After job is printed screens come off press, ink removed and stored for 1 week to be sure there are no problems with order then reclaimed and reused. Storing screens with ink in them can get messy. Old drum on it side cut like a bbq grill full of mineral spirits with a piece of metal screen for a deck and 4" paint brush to clean. I think it's older than I am.
TMP_D
Intern
Intern

Post by TMP_D »

Is there a problem with the odor of the mineral spirits, with the tank for cleaning setup? I’m in a small shop, and still need to install some good ventilation systems, is there a way to seal the drum tank off when it’s sitting there? I would have to think there would be an evaporation and odor associated with that method?

It sure would be a lot easier to clean that way though, even when I was running in a large shop we never used a system like that, lol, 12 years printing and all I’ve seen done is the screen opener and paper towel method :-)

I might have to see about building something along those lines, would have to be small though, I don’t have a lot of room to spare atm
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

My smeller wore out years ago :roll:
Tank has lid for when not in use. A parts washer will do the same job, you can get them for around 100 bucks. For my clamshells that we do flatstock on I clean on press. Remove as much ink as possible and return to run can then wipe with rag soaked in xylene. 1 or 2 rags and done. Paper towels suck. I get rags by the box from local vendor.