Advice for Setting Up a Business?

Post your questions, suggestions, ideas and advice to issues you have run into in your screen printing shop.

Moderator: Moderator Team

madmanyoni
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Advice for Setting Up a Business?

Post by madmanyoni »

Hi. I am a 13 year old who started screenprinting during the summer. You may have seen some of my questions on the forum--but anyway, I finally got the hang of screenprinting and I am still learning A LOT. I started a clothing company...the kids at my school seemed to really like the shirts I wore to school and they didn't believe that I screenprinted them myself.
When I started selling them, they were ten dollars, and they got a lot for the 10 dollars, a shirt, some stickers, etc. I have more and more orders and it is a little hard to keep track of $150 in my backpack. My dad is always telling me that when the shirt costs about 5 dollars to make, 100% profit is not enough, I would charge more, but I don't think the kids will buy if they are 15 or 20 dollars.
Does anyone have any advice on how to set my business up and keep it alive? Help is appreciated.

Yonatan
screenprintguy
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: Advice for Setting Up a Business?

Post by screenprintguy »

It sounds like you're getting too much business as it is, most likely because your prices are too low. Don't undervalue yourself. Sure you're only paying $5 for the shirts, but you're also doing a lot of LABOR. You need to be compensated for your hard work. You should charge at least $15 for this service you're doing, and you should also do business at your house (as long as your parents are ok with it) so you don't have to carry all that money in your backpack.
David Walker
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Post by tompaine »

One of the advantages of being 13, (& I can't remember many), is that it's just pocket money.
Enjoy it and learn.
shirtspace
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by shirtspace »

You should consider opening a savings account if you don't already have one and have your parents help you keep track of the money you are earning.

Laura

www.shirtspace.com
sticker printer
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by sticker printer »

First of all congratulations on starting a business at the age of just 13.

Do whatever you feel appropriate. This is how you'll get to learn the things. And as you have mention that you r of just 13. That means you had a long way to go.

Good luck..!!