Problems Screen Printing Sweatshirts

Post your questions, suggestions, ideas and advice to issues you have run into in your screen printing shop.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tgrib
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Problems Screen Printing Sweatshirts

Post by tgrib »

I am new to the screen printing industry and am having major issues screen printing on sweatshirts. I have screen printed on t-shirts and everything has turned out great. However when I screen print on a sweatshirt, the fabric seems to get pulled up and gives the ink a very uneven bumpy feel. We are printing on 50/50 sweatshirts at a height of 1/8 of an inch on a 110 mesh. We have tried washing the garments, and ironing the garments before printing, and it doesn't seem to solve anything. I have now gone through a dozen sweatshirts trying to figure this out and nothing seems to improve. If anyone can give me any advice at all, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Problems Screen Printing Sweatshirts

Post by ROADSIDE »

Are you using PALETTE ADHESIVE to hold them in position?
I am guessing no....
Also you might need to use more pressure and 2 strokes if you are on a manual press.
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
tgrib
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by tgrib »

We are using an adhesive, however, our sweatshirt adhesive hasn't come in yet. We're just using our t-shirt adhesive and not the spider web type. We use two strokes on the first pass, flash the garment, and then put on one more layer. We are printing white ink on a red sweatshirt. We had been running these tests on very old sweatshirts and thought that this could have been the problem. So we tried again on brand new sweatshirts and had the same problem. However the screen does have a completely different look when we try printing sweatshirts. The ink seems to be building up underneath the screen. Does this mean that the sweatshirt is sticking to the screen? Do you need to use a special type of ink when printing on sweatshirts and is the distance of 1/8 of an inch correct? We are really stumped over this! Thanks again.
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

First off, I'd rather take a beating than a sweatshirt order. When I do have to print them I use a jacket hold down.
stray51
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by stray51 »

You might be using too much pressure, or not the edge of the squeegee. Sweats are harder to print, but if you are using tack (we just use regular tack) and your printing through a 110 mesh things should be OK. Try adjusting your print angle to use the sharp edge, that may help you a bit.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

since the sweatshirt is a lot thicker then a tee shirt you need to adjust the off-contact (space between bottom of the screen and top of the pallet)
You should be able to see some daylight between the screen and the sweatshirt.
Also if you are using a flash..(and you should be) make sure you have FLASH ADHESIVE.
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
jonmc8
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by jonmc8 »

It sounds like your just not Pre-flashing the hoods...I constantly have to print sweatshirts and god knows everyone wants a dark sweatshirt with 5 bright colors on them...As long as you use adhesive, preferably flash adhesive...just pre-flash each sweatshirt for about 5 or 6 seconds (as sweatshirt material gets hot quicker)...The pre-flashing before any printing, mats down the fibers and contracts the fibers enough to result in a more even, crisp print...You shouldn't have any texture problems or problems in general as long as you pre flash the garment...this works with most garments especially when there tending to shrink...
Pocono Screen Supply
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Pocono Screen Supply »

First of all printing on heavy fabrics such as sweatshirts is different than t-shirts.

Web adhesive is a must, because the loose knit fleece on the inside will not adhere to the pallet using a fine mist spray. The webbing spray is a heavier and thicker adhesive which sprays similiar to a spider web.

Your off contact of 1/8 is alittle heavy. Try setting a nickle on the edge of the pallet to help adjust your press.

Screen tension is also very important. The snap-off that is created by higher tensions frames will help with the blury image and ink build-up on the back of the screen. Also, double coating your screen emulsion will create a thicker ink deposit, reducing the number of squeegee strokes.

A 60-70 durometer squeegee is also important, too soft and the ink will be thick and uneven, and too hard will produce thin coverage.

Also slowing down on your print stroke may help.

Check out our website for many helpful tech tips.
Pocono Mt. Screen Supply
tollfree (888) 637-4835
http://www.poconoscreen.com/